How to Install Cord Cleats
Whenever buying and using corded window blinds and shades, installing cord cleats is an absolute must!
Cord cleats keep dangerous, dangling cords out of the way of playful children and pets. Cord cleats are easily attached to the wall on either side of the window. They’re used to wrap the window covering’s pull and/or tilt cords around them, keeping the cords tied neatly up and out of the reach of grabby little hands.
We recommend using two cleats stacked together to securely wrap the cords. Just follow these simple steps or watch this quick video to see how this essential step will help make your home safer for children and pets.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 cord cleats
- 2 screws
1. Use the pencil to mark where you want to position the bottom cleat. (Make sure it’s out of a child’s grasp, keeping in mind that children can climb onto furniture to reach it.)
2. Measure 6 to 12 inches directly above it to mark where the top cord cleat will be installed.
3. Take one cord cleat and one screw. Drill the screw into the wall at the lower pencil mark.
4. Repeat for the second cleat, attaching it to the wall at the higher mark.
5. Once the cleats are installed, raise your blinds or shades and wrap the excess cord tightly around the two cord cleats using a loop or figure 8 formation.
And you’re done! Cord cleats are a fast and easy solution for keeping kids and animals away from dangerous cords. When ordering any corded window coverings here on SelectBlinds.com, be sure to request your free cord cleats in the notes on your order or to ask for them when speaking with a member of our Customer Loyalty Team.
For more on child-safe window coverings visit our #gocordless page. And if you like the look and safety features cordless treatments offer, take a look at all of the products where you can get it for free here on our site.