Measuring Instructions for Mini Blinds
View Instructions for Inside Mount
Inside mounted mini blinds mount inside the window casing, and do not cover the window molding.
View Instructions for Outside Mount
Outside mounted mini blinds are mounted on the wall and cover the window molding.
Instructions for Inside Mounted Mini Blinds
- Make sure your windows are deep enough for an inside mount. Your mini blinds minimum surface requirements are found in the “Product Info” tab on the product’s information page.
Measuring the width
- Measure the width of the inside edge of the window frame from left to right in three places – the top, middle, and the bottom.
- Write down the smallest of the three widths down to the nearest 1/8”.
- If you have a 1/16” or 1/32” increment when measuring, round down to the nearest 1/8”. (For example, if the smallest measurement is 24 9/16", round down to 24 1/2". If it's 24 3/8", no need to round down.)
- Order the width you wrote down.
Measuring the height
- Measure the height. Start at the top and measure to the bottom of the window frame in three places, starting at the top left, then moving to the center, and to the top right and down to the window sill.
- Use the largest height out of the 3 measurements, rounding up to the nearest 1/8”.
- Round up to the nearest 1/8” if you are getting a 1/16” or 1/32” increment. (For Example, If the largest measurement is 24 9/16", round up to 24 5/8". If it's 24 1/2", no need to round up.)
- This is the height you will use when ordering.
Do not make your own deductions. Our factory will make all the required deductions based on the exact window measurements you provide to us, ensuring your product will fit and operate perfectly. Do not add to the width to make up for any deductions. Choose an outside mount for more light coverage. See the chart below for deductions per collection:
|Mini Blinds||Depth required for secure inside mount||Depth needed for flush inside mount||Flat surface for outside mount||Total Deduction|
|Select Preferred||3/4"||1 3/8"||1"||1/2"|
|Lifestyle Mini||1 1/2"||2 3/8"||1"||3/8"|
|Cordless Mini||1 1/4"||2"||3/4"||3/8"|
|2" Designer||1 1/8"||3 3/8"||1 3/4"||1/2"|
Instructions for Outside Mounted Mini Blinds
Because an outside mount covers the entire window opening and frame, there are some additions you’ll need to make to ensure the correct size. Your product will be made to the exact measurements you give, and we won’t make any alterations.
Flat surface requirements
- First, determine where you want to mount the blind. Make sure you have approx. 2 ½” of flat surface for mounting. Choose either the top of your trim or above the trim on the wall. Find more specific flat surface mounting information in the “Product Info” tab on the product’s page.
Measuring the width
- Measure the width of the window in three places (top, middle, and bottom).
- Take the largest width out of the three measurements.
- Make a minimum addition to the size by adding 2” on each side or 4” total. If the window opening is 72”, for example, it‘s recommended to order 76”, giving you 2” of added coverage on each side of the window. This will give you more light and privacy control, eliminating light gap coverage.
- Adjust the additions as much as you’d like, but an extra 2” on each side is a good place to start.
- This is the width you will input into your order.
Measuring the height
- Measure the height starting at the top left, then the center, and finally the top right down to the window sill.
- You’ll use the largest number out of the three measurements. Add a minimum addition of 2” to the height for the top and 2” for the bottom or 4” total. For example, if the height of your window is 36” inches, order 40”. This will provide enough of a flat surface to mount the blind on top, all while giving your maximum privacy and light control. Adding 2” on each side is a good rule of thumb, but you can add to that if you want even more coverage.
- That’s the height you’ll use when ordering.