Measuring Instructions for Honeycomb/Cellular Shades
Honeycomb shades, also called cellular shades, are great if you’re looking for modern energy efficiency. You can even choose between light filtering and blackout fabrics, letting you customize your shades to perfection.
View Instructions for Inside Mount
Inside mounted cellular shades mount inside the window casing, and do not cover the window molding.
View Instructions for Outside Mount
Outside mounted cellular shades are mounted on the wall and cover the window molding.
Instructions for Inside Mounted Honeycomb/Cell Shades
- The first step is to confirm that your window is deep enough for an inside mount. The product’s minimum mounting surface requirements are under the “Product Info” tab on the product’s information page.
Measuring the width
- To determine the width, measure from left to right on the top, middle, and the bottom. Use the smallest width out of those numbers.
- If you get a 1/16” or 1/32” increment, round down to the nearest 1/8”. (For example, if the smallest measurement is 24 9/16", round down to 24 1/2". If it's 24 3/8", no need to round down.)
- This is the width you will use when ordering.
Measuring the height
- To determine the height, measure from top to bottom on the top left, then the center of the window, and then the top right to the bottom of the window sill. Use the largest height out of those numbers.
- If you get a 1/16” or 1/32” increment, round up to the nearest 1/8”. (For Example, If the largest measurement is 24 9/16", round up to 24 5/8". If it's 24 1/2", no need to round up.)
- This is the height you will use when ordering.
Our factory will make the necessary deductions to your window measurements. This will ensure the product will fit and operate perfectly. Please do not make your own deductions. Do not add to the width to make up for any deductions. If you would like even more light coverage, consider an outside mount. See chart below for the deductions per collection:
|Cellular Shades||Minimum depth required for secure inside mount||Minimum depth needed for flush inside mount||Flat surface for outside mount||Total Deduction|
|Classic Collection||3/4"||2 1/8"||1 1/2"||1/4" headrail & fabric|
|1"||1/4" headrail 3/8" fabric|
|2 1/4"||1"||1/4" headrail 3/8" fabric|
|2" Premier Shades||1 1/4"||3 1/2"||1"||1/4" headrail 3/8" fabric|
|Designer Sleep||1 5/8"||2 1/4"||N/A||3/4" headrail 7/8" fabric|
|Fashion Color Collection||3/4"||2 1/4"||1"||3/16" headrail 3/8" fabric|
|Select ElectraLift Motorized||1"||1 7/8"||1 1/4"||3/8" headrail & fabric|
Instructions for Outside Mounted Honeycomb/Cellular Shades
Since an outside mount covers the window opening and frame fully, there are additions you need to make to make sure the correct size is ordered. We will make your product to the measurements you give us, and we won’t make changes or additions.
Flat surface requirements
- First decide where you want to mount the blind outside of the window frame. You need at least 2 ½” of a flat surface. You can mount it on top of the trim or hang it above the trim. More specific mounting information can be found under the “Product Info” tab on the product’s information page.
Measuring the width
- Begin by measuring the exact width of the window opening in three main places (top, middle, and bottom).
- Record the largest width out of the 3 measurements.
- Take the largest width of the three measurements and add a minimum addition of at least 2” on each side, for a total of 4”. For more light coverage and privacy, add even more to the measurement.
- When ordering, use this final number for the width.
Measuring the height
- Measuring the height is easy. Simply measure the height of the window in three places, including the top left, the middle, and the top right, all ending at the bottom of the sill. Using the largest of the three numbers, add at least 2 inches for the top and the bottom. This will give your shades adequate coverage to block out unwanted light and help you keep your privacy.
- The final number you come up with will be the height you use when placing your order.