Maybe your personal design taste calls for a traditional window style, or perhaps for something more modern. Regardless of what your personal style dictates, or what your budget is, we at SelectBlinds are pleased to tell you that we have the perfect custom solution for you. We offer you more than 170 different customizable products, in a selection of over 1800 colors, with countless feature combinations, upgrades, and add-ons available. Did we already say that we can make any budget happy?
What are the most popular types of window treatments? In the first part of this article, we discussed popular types of blinds and shutters. What about window shades and curtains? Let’s discuss some of the most popular types of window treatments, shades and curtains in particular, and how they function.
Function vs. Form
You might not want window coverings that are merely functional. You might want something stylish, as well. It will likely be great news to you that you can enjoy window shades that are stylish and also that function smoothly, the way you want and need them to! What would work best in your home?
What Is the Difference Between Shades and Blinds?
First, though the two terms are often used interchangeably, let’s distinguish shades from blinds.
Basically, shades hang down from the top of a window to the bottom, but they feature a solid, continuous surface that covers the window, and which can be raised or lowered to open up the view outward or to cover up for privacy. Shades are commonly crafted using fabrics, bamboo/woven woods, lightweight cellular material, and sheer fabrics. Curtains, though not technically shades, have similar qualities, in that they’re a solid, hanging surface that covers your windows.
Blinds are also hanging window treatments, but they feature either horizontal or vertical slats that can be tilted open or closed, usually with some sort of mechanism. Different kinds of blinds are crafted using various materials, including wood, faux wood, aluminum, and PVC.
What Types of Shades and Curtains Are In Style?
Here are some examples of popular styles of shades and curtains, ranging from traditional to less traditional.
- Roller Shades – Regardless of how you roll — casual, modern, Farmhouse — there are custom roller shades to match your unique sense of style. Layer roll-up window coverings in colors, textures, and patterns that fit any interior design.
- Cellular / Honeycomb Shades – Keep the home vibe cool, calm, and quiet with energy-efficient cellular shades. With kid-friendly cordless lift options, they’re the safest choice for homes with little ones and/or pets.
- Roman Shades – Can you be trendy and traditional at the same time? Of course! For example, take the classic, customizable Roman shade. This luxurious fabric window covering never goes out of style and works with the trendiest interiors.
- Bamboo / Woven Wood Shades – Get your home Pinterest perfect with these natural-looking custom bamboo / woven wood shades in your windows. Personalize them even more with your own lined option selections for more light & privacy control.
- Dual / Zebra Shades – Your home is your showcase. Show off your unique taste with stylish, unique sheer zebra shades. Enjoy the ease of a roller with the look of a horizontal blind to add dimension and texture to windows. Watch them operate, and you’ll be sold!
- Solar Shades – You love bright sunlight streaming through your windows. And who wouldn’t? Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing, though. Harmful UV rays can fade furnishings. Custom interior solar shades can help.
- Exterior Solar Shades – Keep your cool and enjoy your patio and decks longer. Beat the heat while protecting your outdoor furnishings with a weather-resistant custom cordless exterior solar sun shade. You’ll also maintain your exterior view!
- Sheer Shades – For the trendsetting home decorator, nothing beats the sheer elegance of sheer blinds. Impress your guests with this high-impact, custom flat sheer roller style window treatment.
- Skylight Shades – Whether you live in a tiny house or a mansion, a skylight window is a feature worth showcasing. Show it off right with custom, sun-blocking shades that fit your style. Motorization options are available to make your life easier.
- Arched Window Shades – Do coverings for your arched windows seem out of reach? Not with these custom shades for arched windows. Light filtering or blackout fabrics add function and elegance to even the highest arched windows. Motorization options are available to make your life easier.
- Drapery / Curtains – Ever popular, custom drapes and curtains are a perennial favorite to dress your windows, or to layer with other types of window treatments (i.e. Roman shades, wood blinds or faux wood blinds, cellular shades, etc.). Updated grommet and pleated panels add a fresh spark, especially when used in trendy layered looks.
How Often Do You Need to Replace Your Window Treatments?
Quality shades, curtains, blinds, or shutters can last for several years (especially when installed correctly and maintained regularly), and there is no hard rule of thumb regarding how often you should replace them. Basically, replace them as needed, and according to your personal preference, as trends and fashions change and evolve.
Follow manufacturer directions when using and maintaining your window treatments, in order to preserve them as long as possible. Dust and/or wipe them down on a regular basis. Thoroughly clean your window treatments at least twice annually in order to reduce heavy dust accumulation. Curtains tend to be somewhat easier to maintain, as they can be removed for laundering, dry cleaning, or steaming as you need to.
Select Blinds Staff Recommendations for Your Space
If you’re looking for some recommendations for your home, be sure to keep on reading. We’ve made selections from each of our product tiers for you, to offer you excellent, customizable design solutions for any taste and budget. Spend some time window shopping to see what we have to offer!
Classic Vinyl Blackout Roller Shades (Essential Tier)*
Sleep better (and longer!) with budget-saving blackout roller shades crafted with flame-retardant vinyl fiberglass and then laminated with another layer of vinyl for extra strength and durability.
Cordless Light Filtering Cellular Shades (Essential Tier)*
Less cluttered, kid-safe, budget-friendly, and simply stylish, these energy-efficient cordless cellulars are the perfect finishing touch to any window and design aesthetic.
Classic Woven Woods (Essential Tier)*
Upgrade your windows with these trend-setting favorites! Clutter-free, stylish, and affordable, there’s virtually no limit to how good your windows will look.
*Our Essential Tier products include simple designs in familiar styles. Made of materials known for strength, and easy cleaning, Essential Tier products are a great starting point for first-time homeowners or renters that are looking for budget-friendly solutions.
Farmhouse Roman Shades (Signature Tier)*
Master that Farmhouse-style look and feel these beautifully crafted and easy-to-install-and-use Roman shades.
Select Light Filtering Dual Shade (Signature Tier)*
Alternating wide and narrow bands of durable, easy-care fabric combine to give this modern light control window treatment its distinctive zebra-stripe appearance.
2” Light Filtering Sheer Shades (Signature Tier)*
Picture these luminous, custom-made sheer fabric window treatments blocking up to 99% of UV rays when closed and up to 88% when open to help protect your furniture and interior, and to gently diffuse light.
*Our Signature Tier products feature thoughtful designs in trendy styles. Made with durable materials, Signature Tier products are the perfect place to start when looking for a beyond-basic solution that is also affordable.
Premier Modern Solar Screen (Premium Tier)*
See it all more clearly inside and out with these interior solar shades. The 5% openness of the fade resistant fabric helps reduce harsh incoming light so you can still enjoy your outward views.
Lifestyle Outdoor Motorized Shade (Premium Tier)*
Elevate your outdoor experience with the convenience and ease-of-use of these motorized solars. Plus, they come with a gorgeous oil-rubbed valance along with cable tie-downs!
Jewel Tone Drapery (Premium Tier)*
The perfect combination of fashion and function with these visually tantalizing jewel-toned window drapes. Manage light and privacy in style. Perfect for any room’s interior design.
*Our Premium Tier products feature lasting designs in timeless styles. Made of high-quality materials, Premium Tier products are the ideal choice for an excellent investment that’s made to last. Some upgrade features may be included.
Luxe Modern Room Darkening Skylight Shades (Luxury Tier)*
Your hard-to-reach skylight windows should be a breeze to cover with these room-darkening honeycomb shades. Several alluring colors, with optional motorization and other upgrades!
Luxe Modern Light Filtering Arch Shade (Luxury Tier)*
You’ll love this modern and functional solution for your arched windows in light-filtering fabric that comes in a wide selection of colors. A custom fit for even the most uniquely shaped arched windows.
*Our Luxury Tier products include superior design in distinct styles. Made with unique materials and quality craftsmanship. Luxury Tier products are for the homeowner looking to indulge in sophisticated customization. Some upgrade features are included.
Take More Control Over How Your Dream Home Turns Out
DIY Design never meant “Do it ALL by Yourself.” For any space, a home design upgrade should never feel intimidating.
Nothing makes a space look warmer and more inviting than beautiful new window treatments, and Select Blinds is all about supporting you, all the way from start to finish. We offer you tons of helpful resources to make your life (and projects) easier, because we’re invested in your success! Make your dream home ALL YOURS as you custom-craft it into your dream home, without breaking your budget. As you sharpen those interior DIY design instincts, you can save yourself plenty of money in the process.
Check out our FREE interior design consulting as just another way we can support you from start to finish. Get tips, color guidance, product recommendations, solutions to the problems you may encounter, etc. Call us today at (855) 235-3120 to take advantage of our free design consultation resources.
Free Samples. Free Shipping. Free Design Consulting. Every Day. Only at .