Whether you prefer a traditional window style, or something more modern, we at SelectBlinds have the perfect custom solution for you. We offer you more than 170 different customizable products, in over 1800 colors, with countless feature combinations, upgrades, and add-ons available. Did we already say that we can make any budget happy?
What are the most popular types of window treatments? You might not want window coverings that are merely functional. You might want something stylish, as well. It should come as good news that you can enjoy window treatments that are stylish and also that function smoothly, the way they’re supposed to! So, what would work best in your home? In the second installment of this article, we’ll go into more detail regarding window shades and curtains. For now, let’s discuss some of the most popular types of window treatments, blinds in particular, and how they function.
What Is the Difference Between Blinds and Shades?
First, though the two terms are often used interchangeably, let’s distinguish blinds from shades.
Basically, blinds are hanging window treatments, that can have either horizontal or vertical slats that can be tilted open or closed, usually with some sort of mechanism. Different kinds of blinds are made with a wide variety of materials, including wood, faux wood, aluminum, and PVC. Shades, on the other hand, also hang down from the top of a window to the bottom, but they feature a solid, continuous surface that covers the window, and which can be raised or lowered to open up the view outward or to cover up for privacy. Shades can be made from fabrics, bamboo/woven woods, lightweight cellular material, or sheer fabrics, to name a few.
What Types of Blinds Are In Style?
Let’s talk about blinds first. Here are some examples of popular styles of blinds, ranging from traditional to less traditional.
- Wood Blinds – Solid, natural-looking wood blinds can add real value and style to your home. They are custom quality-crafted to be long-lasting and to add texture, depth, and dimension to your windows and interiors.
- Faux Wood Blinds – Custom faux wood blinds are more budget-friendly, yet still, high-quality window treatments that don’t look like fake wood! Try faux woods out and get that real-wood look without stressing out your budget! Note that faux wood and aluminum blinds work exceptionally well in damp environments, like kitchens and bathrooms, where they won’t get warped or get moldy. If you decide to install wood blinds or fabric shades in your kitchen (i.e., over your kitchen sink) or bathroom, know that you might need to replace them sooner.
- Aluminum Mini Blinds – If you’re looking for solid, durable, all-purpose custom window treatment, that also looks great, you should give aluminum mini blinds a chance. Mini aluminum blinds feature slats that measure about half the width of the slats of regular size blinds. They are not only budget-friendly, but they also add a modern, crisp, clean touch to your space. Note that aluminum and faux wood blinds work exceptionally well in damp environments, like kitchens and bathrooms, where they won’t get warped or get moldy. If you decide to install wood blinds or fabric shades in your kitchen (i.e., over your kitchen sink) or bathroom, know that you might need to replace them sooner.
- Shutters – Louvered shutters, a traditional framed blind with an exposed vertical tilt bar in the middle of the panel for opening and closing, are the peak of posh for window treatments. Easily hang them yourself to transform your house with the unsurpassed style and quality found only in this coveted take on slat blinds. Either in wood or faux wood, they are an excellent investment in your home’s resale value!
- Vertical Blinds – A trendy twist on these classic coverings for sliding glass and patio doors provides an excellent solution for covering wide doors and windows. Our versatile vertical blinds come in updated colors, fabrics, and textures to complement your interior design anywhere in your home.
- Panel Track Blinds – Get your window design right on track with trendsetting, smooth custom sliding panel track blinds. Just choose the number of wide vertical panels you prefer to make a stunning statement for covering sliding glass doors, as well as for large windows.
- Fabric Blinds – A much softer version to the eyes and to the touch of the classic blinds made of solid materials? Soften up any room with the flexible fabric slats (or solid slats wrapped in fabric) of these fresh-looking, custom fabric blinds for your windows.
How Often Do You Need to Replace Your Window Treatments?
Quality blinds, shades, shutters, curtains, or any other types of window treatments can last you for many years (particularly when installed correctly and maintained regularly). There really is no rule of thumb regarding how often you should replace them. Basically, replace them according to your personal preference, as trends and fashions change and evolve.
Just be sure to follow manufacturer directions when using blinds or shades, in order to preserve them as long as possible. Dust and/or wipe them down on a regular basis. Thoroughly clean your window treatments at least twice annually in order to reduce heavy dust accumulation. Curtains tend to be somewhat easier to maintain, as they can be removed for laundering, dry cleaning, or steaming as you need to.
Select Blinds Staff Recommendations for Your Space
If you’re looking for some recommendations for your home, be sure to keep on reading. We’ve made selections from each of our product tiers for you, to offer viable design solutions for any budget. How about spending some time window shopping to see what custom solutions we’ve got for you?
Few things say “classic sophistication” quite like natural wood blinds in your windows. They’ll look amazing from indoors and out, for years.
Cover your large windows and patio doors with the subtle textures and soft color palette of these soothing fabric verticals. Amazing for almost any space!
*Our Essential Tier products include simple designs in familiar styles. Made of materials known for strength, and easy cleaning, Essential Tier products are a great starting point for first-time homeowners or renters that are looking for budget-friendly solutions.
Budget- and kid-friendly cordless faux wood blinds are exactly the solution your family and home need. The printed wood grains give the horizontal slats a realistic, wood-like look and feel.
These versatile, modern-looking cordless aluminum mini blinds are amazingly affordable and simple to install and use. No wand needed. Just tilt and lift with the bottom rail.
*Our Signature Tier products feature thoughtful designs in trendy styles. Made with durable materials, Signature Tier products are the perfect place to start when looking for a beyond-basic solution that is also affordable.
Take your décor up a notch with these high-quality fabric vertical blinds, available in a trendy selection of relaxing colors and patterns. Perfect for patio doors and wide windows.
*Our Premium Tier products feature lasting designs in timeless styles. Made of high-quality materials, Premium Tier products are the ideal choice for an excellent investment that’s made to last. Some upgrade features may be included.
Forget those traditional verticals and deck out your large windows and sliding glass or patio doors in ultimate style with these blackout panel tracks.
Upgrade your windows with the classic, elegant look they deserve. These beautifully hand-crafted natural basswood shutters will astound for years to come!
*Our Luxury Tier products include superior design in distinct styles. Made with unique materials and quality craftsmanship. Luxury Tier products are for the homeowner looking to indulge in sophisticated customization. Some upgrade features are included.
Take More Control Over How Your Dream Home Turns Out
DIY Design never meant “Do it ALL by Yourself.” For any space, a home design upgrade should never feel intimidating.
Nothing makes a space look warmer and more inviting than beautiful new window treatments, and Select Blinds is all about supporting you, all the way from start to finish. We offer you tons of helpful resources to make your life (and projects) easier because we’re invested in your success! Make your dream home ALL YOURS as you custom-craft it into your dream home, without breaking your budget. As you sharpen those interior DIY design instincts, you can save yourself plenty of money in the process.
Check out our FREE interior design consulting as just another way we can support you from start to finish. Get tips, color guidance, product recommendations, solutions to the problems you may encounter, etc. Call us today at (855) 235-3120 to take advantage of our free design consultation resources.