October is National Window Covering Safety Month, and we’d like to remind you: Kids and cords don’t mix.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), corded window coverings are one of the top five hidden hazards in American homes. Children ages 14 months up to 9 years can become entangled in dangerous, dangling window blind cords in less than 60 seconds. That’s why we’re totally committed to kids safety.
The Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC), safety advocates, and government safety officials recommend that you only use cordless window products in homes with young children. Select Blinds is the only retailer to offer a cordless option on all of our window shades and blinds, with many products where cordless comes standard at no extra cost. (Check out our FREE cordless options here.) Cordless is the safest kind of lift system for environments with little ones (and fur babies, too). That’s why we’re proud that so many of our cordless lift systems are in compliance with the latest child safety standards established the Window Covering Manufacturers Association (WCMA).
Here are some tips to help protect children and pets from the dangers of unsightly and unsafe corded coverings.
- Replace window blinds and corded shades with cordless products, or those where cords are inaccessible. If completely replacing corded window coverings is not an immediate option, the proper installation and use of safety components such as tensioners, cord cleats, breakaway tassels and inner cord stops are available to help make your current blinds and shades as safe as possible, until you’re able to upgrade to a cordless option.
- When shopping for window coverings, be sure to look for labels to easily identify products best suited for homes with young children. We make it easy at Select Blinds, where our products are clearly labeled: KID FRIENDLY CORDLESS: This product is considered child safe when cordless options are selected. We strongly recommend choosing cordless options for homes with children or pets. If you select a corded feature, you’re prompted with this warning: Corded lifts with accessible cords pose a strangulation hazard to young children and pets. Cordless products are the safest choice and recommended for homes where kids and pets are present.
- When window cords are present, check and double-check on a regular basis to make sure they’re out of sight and out of reach of little hands. Shorten or move them up and away, so that they’re inaccessible and can’t form dangerous loops. Then check again. Cords with safety tassels, breakaway cord consolidators and even cords tied up high in cleats have been involved in numerous accidents involving children.
- Move all cribs, beds, furniture and toys away from walls with windows and window cords.
- Join the #GoCordless Movement for Life at selectblinds.com.
- If you have corded coverings and children in your home, enter our No Strings Attached contest for a chance to win a free cordless covering of your choice.
For more information on window cord safety, visit www.windowcoverings.org.