Measuring Instructions for Vertical Blinds
View Instructions for Inside Mount
Inside mounted vertical blinds mount inside the window casing, and do not cover the window molding.
View Instructions for Outside Mount
Outside mounted vertical blinds are mounted on the wall and cover the window molding.
Instructions for Inside Mounted Vertical Blinds
- First determine if your window is deep enough for an inside mount. You can find this information under the “Product Info” tab on each vertical blinds product page.
How to Measure the Width
- Start by measuring the exact width from left to right of the inside edge of the window frame. Measure in three places: top, middle, and bottom.
- Write down the smallest of the 3 widths, rounding down to the nearest 1/8”.
- For 1/16” or 1/32” increments, round down to the nearest 1/8”.
- Use this width when you will order.
How to Measure the height
- Starting from the top and working your way to the bottom, measure the exact height of the window frame in three main places, including the top left, the center, and top right, all the way down to the window sill. If you are measuring patio doors, measure all the way to the floor.
- Use the largest height out of the 3, rounding to the nearest 1/8”.
- For increments of 1/16” or 1/32”, round up to the nearest 1/8”.
Our factory will make all the necessary deductions according to the measurements you submit, ensuring the product will fit and work. Please do not make your own deductions. We will do that for you. For even more light coverage, choose an outside mount. Here are the standard deductions per collection:
|Vertical Blinds||Depth required for secure inside mount||Depth needed for flush inside mount||Flat surface for outside mount||Total Deduction|
|Premium||2 1/4"||3 3/4"||2 1/4"||3/8" width 1/2" on height|
|Fabric||2 1/4"||3 3/4"||2 1/4"||3/8" width 1/2" on height|
|Designer Faux||2 1/4"||3 3/4"||2 1/4"||3/8" width 1/2" on height|
|Select Textured||2 1/4"||3 3/4"||2 1/4"||3/8" width 1/2" on height|
|Deluxe Vertical||2 1/4"||3 3/4"||2 1/4"||3/8" width 1/2" on height|
|Premium Textured||2 1/4"||3 3/4"||2 1/4"||3/8" width 1/2" on height|
|Panel Track||See Product Info||See Product Info||See Product Info||See Product Info|
Instructions for Outside Mounted Vertical Blinds
For measuring your window as an outside mount you would measure like an inside mount and then add additional inches to have optimum light control and privacy. Please review the following steps to measure for an outside mount:
Measuring the width
- Measure the exact width (left to right) of the wooden or metal window frame or how wide you would like the blind or shade to be.
- Make sure to measure wide enough as to cover the entire window and provide maximum light gap coverage. We recommend 2" of coverage on each side of the window so a total of an additional 4" added onto the width. For example: If the window opening is 72", it might be helpful to order 76". This will provide 2" of coverage on each side of the window so ensure that the blind will be wide enough to cover the opening.
- Write down that size making sure that it is the first number of the measurement.
- Keep in mind that the valance will be about 2" wider than the width ordered except for our Cordless Vertical Blinds, this will be about 1" wider than the width ordered.
Measuring the height
- Measure the exact height (top to bottom) from the top headrail location to the bottom sill (or to the floor for patio doors) in three places (left, middle, and right).
- We recommend adding about 3 or 4 inches to this number to insure maximum light gap coverage and to cover the window completely. For example: If the height of the window opening is 80", it is recommended to order 83" - 84" to ensure to get the optimum light coverage. This will provide the 3"-4" of coverage to ensure that the blind is long enough.
- Write down that size making sure that it is the second number of the measurement. This is the height you will order.
- Please be sure to know that the height measurement will always include the headrail. Example: if the height ordered is 80" this will be the height including the headrail (from the very top of the headrail to the bottom rail). The vanes will be about 1 1/2" smaller than height ordered so when attached to headrail it will total to height ordered.
- You will want to mount the headrail above the window frame. Please make a note that some windows have trim that might interfere with mounting so it's important to measure above the trim if this is the case.
*width and length measurements may vary +/- 1/8"